Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Desert Island RPGs

This is from Bryan. I'm picking it up via Claw/Claw/Bite and Vaults of Nagoh.

Ten desert island RPGs. Ten is already very generous, so I'll stick to core books only.

  • D&D Rules Cyclopedia: For playing D&D, which is very hard to do with another system.
  • Street Fighter: The Storytelling Game: Man, I can't tell you how much I love this game. Seven years worth of frequent play hasn't dulled my enthusiasm for it. It's the system for gonzo modern martial arts / adventure gaming. Only Ninjas and Superspies could even begin to lay a claim to being able to cover the same ground.
  • The Fantasy Trip: For tactical fantasy RPG combat with a sword and sorcery vibe, look no further.
  • Heavy Gear: The system gives you wargaming, roleplaying, and vehicle construction in an elegant package, plus a great setting. I'd also use this book (without modification) if I wanted to run a GI Joe game.
  • Call of Cthulhu: Good for CoC style games, of course. Also for the system, which would work for a variety of things.
  • Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay: For the old world, for the career system, for critical hits, and for darkly humourous gaming.
  • Castle Falkenstein: Every time I've played it, it's been a full success. And I'm not even a steampunk afficianado.
  • TMNT: For the mutants, for the ninjas.
  • Poison'd: I'm on a desert island RPG, so the appeal of pirates is obvious.
  • Traveller: This has a lot of range.
Nightmare mode? It'd be Street Fighter, Heavy Gear, or D&D. But I'd hate to have to make that choice.