Thursday, September 1, 2011

Six Villages of Aventurien

I've never played a Das Schwarze Auge, but two DSA books I picked up a few years ago have served me very well in Warhammer FRP and D&D games alike. The books are collections of 1-3 page location descriptions with very nice hand-drawn maps of common buildings, from shops and smithies to castles, and they show nice attention to authenticity. The image to the left, of 6 village layouts, is typical, and I've used some of these villages as central places in a small, regional Warhammer campaign. The players from that game know these villages well.

I'm not aware of any available source for these in markets outside Germany. The two softcover books I originally picked up have been collected in a hardcover and are available in German markets under the title Ritterburgen & Spelunken. I can heartily recommend this particular book for map fans, even if you don't speak German. They're part of a larger series of similarly marketed books, of which I also have the dungeon guide and guide to magical academies. Some books in this line diverge from the hand drawn style of the earlier books, to their detriment. I'll be posting a few of my favorite (or most used) maps from these books in the near future.

And, it goes without saying, I'm happy to remove them if requested by the rights holder.